Sunday 1 November 2009

Kolbs Learning Cycle

Concrete Experience

Doing/ having the experience

 When I was seventeen and coming to the end of my last school year I had my first audition for “Performers College” in Essex. I had never attended any auditions previous to this, for any other colleges or courses. I had received my letter telling me to be prepared for a ballet class, a jazz class, to have prepared a short acting piece and to have a song ready to sing. I knew I would handle the dance classes’ fine but singing was not yet something I was comfortable with. I have always been aware I could sing but never had lessons. I took a few lessons leading up to my audition and had a song chosen by my teacher to sing. I wasn’t too familiar with it but my new singing teacher assured me it was suitable for the audition.

I sang in front of the colleges singing department and I knew immediately it was going badly, I couldn’t find the timing with the pianist and because I wasn’t that familiar with the song I skipped out a verse. I did not enjoy the experience at all and felt I had let myself down as the rest of the day had gone well and I really liked the college and the staff.

I received a letter in the following few weeks from Performers telling me of my strengths in Ballet and Jazz, but they would like me to attend a second audition to help them make up their mind. I saw this as my second chance!

 

Reflective Observation

Reviewing/reflecting on the experience

 After the audition was finished I knew I hadn’t done my best, I felt under confident singing a song I did not know inside out and it did not sit well in my range or show me off at all. The whole day had been a success so I was upset to have done badly just in the singing. I knew the singing department had high hopes for me as on my information sheet it mentioned my background in Music and instrumental study. This is something I wanted to show them through my singing but my song choice didn’t allow me to. I thought back to the few singing lessons I had taken leading up to the audition and of how beneficial they were. Technically my teacher helped me with my singing and showed me how to use my voice correctly, however when it came to choosing songs I really wish I had trusted myself to find one more suited to my voice and my style. 

Receiving the letter from the college informing me I had a second audition gave me the confidence I needed to prepare for it on my own.

 

Abstract conceptualisation

concluding/ learning from the experience

Overall I knew what I had to do. I had to go back for my second audition, be full of confidence and sing a song I knew suited me and that could show me off in 16 bars. I chose “On my Own” from Fame. It has always been one of those songs I would sing a long to in my bedroom but never take seriously. After searching through countless songs, I chose this as I knew it so well and it showed off my high belting range towards the end. I got a hold of the sheet music and a backing track and practiced everyday leading up to my second audition. I didn’t go back to my singing teacher, though I continued to use the techniques she had shown me I had learned from my first audition that confidence and a good strong delivery were more important at this stage than trying anything too technical. I knew I was ready for my recall.

 

Active experimentation

Planning/trying out what you have learnt

 Being back at Performers College for the second time only reminded me how much I had warmed to it the first time round and how desperately I wanted to go there. I had to do the full audition day again, dancing acting and finally singing. The day had gone just as well as last time, if not better. When it came to my singing I walked into the room where the singing department were waiting with my head high. They remembered me so the welcome was warm and put me at ease. I gave the pianist my sheet music and checked the tempo with him. I sang without nerves this time and even performed it. I knew it had gone well and I could tell the department was happily surprised and impressed by my improvement since last time. I am so thankful for my second audition and feel this is the perfect example of how Kolb’s learning cycle can apply in any situation and that the benefits come from learning and building on your experiences.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment